Friday, March 31, 2006

More Childlike Ironies

Sure, sure, children are usually sweet, nice things that you're happy to have around until they discover the joy that is appealing to their peer groups, and the attendant familial disassociation whenever the 'groan-ups' are nearby.

Two year- and three year-olds are in a special catagory when they are learning to assert their sense of individualism by pushing boundaries and learning to say "no." Often. Very often. Contrariness becomes their end-all of existence for a period of time... Which is why, during three days of illness that you wouldn't wish upon a committed enemy, let alone your kid... there is an ever-so-slight guilty pleasure in that child wanting to do nothing but sit in your lap and hold you till he/she falls asleep.

I wonder what illness they have to get to put them off of creating miniature death-scene coffins out of violin boxes. Hmmm...

1 comment:

  1. LOL! Well I honestly don't know, but your description of the pleasure derived form having a kid want nothing more than to sit in your lap and be content to fall asleep - see, to me that is the perfect picture of what I imagine God wants from everybody. Rather than kick Him in the shins while He is on the phone and run away laffing, I imagine He would much prefer we sit and share pleasant company.

    Funny, it just struck me when you said that. It makes me think about...you know, we all know "God Loves Us," yeah yeah yeah - everybody has a pamphlet to ram down our throats saying so, but more importantly, your imagery makes me think, "yeah I know God loves me, but does He 'Like' me?" Enough to just hang with me, in all my dorkiness and greatness. Anyway, cool thing you share Blue-ster.

    (Wait till the brother or sister gets here. You wanna talk about pandemonium! LOL)

    mih-

    ReplyDelete