Wednesday, December 8, 2004

Easy Quick and Fun!

I just learnt the whistle part to Flogging Molly's "The Kilburn High Rd."

Not like it's all that complicated, but it made me think of Carl Thor and how we played whistles during last summers Chatter Creek Jam, and it just came natural. Kinda like lon25 and his bass.

Something just seemed to fit the way he plays and thinks his music. Kinda like my mom's half of the family and all their musicianship-this is the half of the family I don't speak about. The Celt side of the fam. The annoying side of the fam. The "Our way is the ONLY way" side of the family.

The "fiddle playing patriarch-who-destroyed-what -ever-good-thots-they-had-of-God" side of the family. His fiddle was mine. I inherited the dang fiddle gene. So instead I avoid the fiddle and it's rotten learning curve, opting instead for the kinder, gentler whistles.



Anyway, Flogging Molly has ALOT of good whistle tunes on their CD. This should be a fun winter. Maybe I will go to Dulcimer Fest in Spring? I am sure Carl will be there. Sure? Heck I know he'll be there. It's good to have a safe place to be creative. To let your heart fly on the wings of the tempo.



Maybe, maybe, maybe...







No comments:

Post a Comment