Monday, May 9, 2005

Oh moan and whine, You guys gotta help me!

Windows XP Service Pack 2
(Need I go ANY further?!)
(rampant expletives ensue!!!!!!)

Any way,
New e-copier:
The drivers won't install properly with Service Pack 2.
This I know from past experience, service pack 2 doesn't like alot of office programs.
Our entire building avoids DLing that update for this reason.
So...because I also use my own personal laptop (you saw this coming didn't you?) for many projects at the office, I also keep Service Pack 2 out of my laptop.

Well, while installing the drivers for the new e-copier, I noticed that there was a prob.

Lo and behold, some how Service Pack 2 managed to sneak its fat butt into my computer without my noticing. I have no idea how long it has been in there. Typically, when it gets in I go straight away and remove it pronto. Which I did Saturday morning.
Serious crash.
My display is at 4-bit and who the heck knows what else is not working!
It tells me that it had to revert to VGA?
My desktop is small enough for me to cover up with one hand!
I can get my pop3 email and what not, but was too sick at heart to explore further, to see what all else had been ruined.


*In my minds eye, I saw myself, dutifully cleaning out the offending Service Pack 2, while over my shoulder a villainous spectre lurked. His visage was as that of Bill Gates. At the end of his long arm there stretched appendages like those of Edward Scissorhands. Learing with a silent, twisted and enraged glee, he watched like a nun waiting with her ruler to strike. Upon completion of the task he leaned forward with terrifying intent and plunged his razor sharp digits into the keyboard, and brought forth the tender entrails from my beloved HP laptop. He tied them around his neck in a bow and leaned over toward me, suddenly showoing his true form and gazed at me with one enormous eye. He cackled his hideous laughter and was gone,
taking who-knows-what vital organs from my beloved electronic friend, who now pleads with me to restore it to it's original state of health and vitality.*

Alas, I do not know how.

No comments:

Post a Comment