Tuesday, March 15, 2005

It's the Stuff the Money Gets

Funny.
I hadn't thought of that phrase (in a truly applicable sense) since we left the Mission.
But I am lately reminded of it.
Ever since Stu and I decided that, no matter what our finances looked like, it was best for me to quit my FT job to be home again with the kids, I have been second guessing that decision and wouldn't ya know it? God is big enough and interested enough to remind me on a personal level of what is important.

The Phrase:
"It's not the money, it's the stuff the money gets..."

2nd Half of The Phrase:
"...and our Father in Heaven owns "the cattle on 1000 hills", therefore, He is well able to supply my needs." (Read: needs -vs- wants)

It was illustrated in daily living for the whole 9 years we served with Arctic Missions, later known as InterAct Missions.
Such daily examples of provision almost became

-dare I say it?-

"ho-hum" and common place.

It was as simple and second nature as saying,
"uhm, God? There is this bill coming down the pike here, how would you like to solve it?"
And He always did.
It became a no-brainer.
Once we left the Mission and got "a real job" that simple faith was not excersized in the same way as frequently.

Back to today:
So here we are, looking down the narrows to my final paycheck on June 1.
Every day I second guess my/our decision to quit FT, saying,
"Uhm God? This looks really stupid on paper. Am I sure this is what you want me to do?"

He is so kind. He talks in so many ways.

The dishwasher broke and flooded again. (Yes. That is again.)
-He gave us a new, slightly used, dishwasher for free, which was better than the one we had to begin with.

I had an outstanding bill to a local vendor, (which I hate to miss payments to locals)
-God managed to provide for its payment by using a tenant in our building, who gave me a gift certificate to this vendors establishment. It was for the amount owed. The giver could not have known the amt.

School tuition in full, was not going to be payed this month.
-Somebody donated anonymously to our tuition fund at the end of last month. I just found out about it yesterday when I went to tell the school. We did not know last month, that this month would end up as short as it did.

We were borrowing the current editing equipment, which is due back in May.
-Yesterday, He provided us with a free replacement of the current editing suite, and upgraded.

For many this would be a wonderful set of amazing coincidences, and I would not begrudge them their happy attitude. For me, in light of my daily searching, and asking and second guessing, the timing of all these lovely gifts says alot more to me. It communicates to me, that God is answering my inner questions to Him, and it is as though He is quoting the "Michelle Paraphrase," saying, "See Michelle? It's not the Money you need, it's the stuff the money gets, and I own evrything, therefore I am MORE than able to provide for your daily needs and I am even willing to provide for some of your wants, just because I like to bless my kids. I am your 'Dad' after all."

Even so, Sunday, we had a guest speaker at the Church, while our own pastor is at our Sister Church in Uganda. This new guy was talking about being "counter culture."
He talked about living your life,
not according to what tradition
or according to what modern culture dictates,
but according to how God wants us to live as He lays it out in the Bible.

It certainly applied to me, since nothing about this decision looks good on paper, or even normal.
Even so, I believe it is what God would have me do right now.

Disclaimer: The Phrase
Is not a Bible verse.
It is my own observation after 9 years of living it.



No comments:

Post a Comment