Tuesday, February 28, 2006

sumus quid sumus

Catalog Successes and Road Blocks:
-part of life I suppose. I thought it would have gone toprint by now, but I forgot about everyone else doing their part. I did my part. I just forgot that they are not as anal as I am and have other things to do besides submit copy and what not. So it has been "Hurry-up-and-Wait." I hate it, but there is not much I can do about it. Just apart of life sometimes.

It freaks me out.
For years people I know, introduce me as "Well this is 'Blog Bicsuit,' she is an artist."
Boy those are awfully hard words that stick in my craw no matter how hard I try to distract or disuade anyone from identifying me with those words, it seems to come back home to roost.
I guess is is finally happening because I find myself purposefully preparing stuff for the gallery.
I have no idea how this happened.
It kinda snuck up on me.
(If 'snuck' is even a word.)

THEM : Hey, some people are thinking of organizing a co-op gallery, why don't you just come and sit in on the meeting.

ME : Huh. What the heck. Why not?

And then it happens. Everybody starts going around the room stating their name and their medium.

FOTO GURU: I am a nature photographer. I am not a "geek" and do no photomanipulation what so ever.

DECOR WOMAN: I do furniture and jewelry.

ME : Uh. My name is "Blog Biscuit." (Scramble, think fast stupid, what are you gonna say?) And I am a total geek and do some digital art/photo manipulation."

(Whew! Safe. I managed to find some acceptable words.)

WENDY (painter extraordinaire) Oh "Blog Biscuit!" You are also a painter too!

ME : Smiles weakly. Becomes invisible. I am now an empty Jacket and levi's sitting here cleverly poised in this chair.

And so...
I find myself needing to somehow come up with something presentable to "submit" (another difficult to fathom, word) to the co-op board - a jury of my peers. Great. a "jury."
They will say that what I do is not art but a crime.
And there it will be.
Spoken aloud, and therefore, fact.

What ever happened to my "just BEing."

They say you are not an artist until you have at least 1000 paintings completed.

I have a long way to go.

Yikes.

2 comments:

  1. Huh... makes me think... I was going to put up a 'real' comment here, but I think I can get a blog podt of my own out of this... Let me stu-... er, stew on it a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Yes, well it looks like you microwaved it, because your post is already up at http://www.metagfx.com/blog/default.asp

    mih-

    ReplyDelete