Friday, February 25, 2005

O Man I wish I hadn't seen that...

... and yet it gave me further impetus to carry on in the way I am going.
I am speaking of the works of Robert and Sonya Delauney.
I was looking for examples of Sonya's work to use to teach a 4th grade art class.
I found a few examples of her work, but then I found the works of her husband and his images are burned into my brain.
They are wonderful!
And yet, because their perfect symmetry is before my waking eyes, I am sorely tempted to process my own works in that vein as a comparison to his. I want to avoid that temptation so, I put away the images I had printed for the class. I will not set my eyes on them again until I teach that class. In the mean time I will plan (*plan* being the operative word here) to paint my poor heart out in all of the geometrical variations that were already foisting themselves onto my brush prior to this discovery of Mr. Delauney, in an effort to solidify my own idea of style before consuming more of his.

Man.
I hope that made sense?
Maybe it is a totally neurotic sentiment and cluster of ideas and intents?
I just know that it is my gut reaction, to be thrilled and freaked a little, simutaneously.

There it is.
Art chat.
For your Friday evening, February 25, 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment