Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Desperately Seeking Midwest Food

So now there are traces of radiation showing up in milk along the pacific NW Coast and even trackably as far inland as Spokane - although that was from one report - and has been poo-pooed by grocers and others locally.

I am not taking any more chances.
Normally, I feed my family locally.
Not now.
Milk-I have started buying in powdered form from a big chain such as WalMart where the likely hood that its been-

A). sitting on the shelf for a while and
B). come from an inland source

gives me a little better protection from the Pacific radioactive goodness.
If push comes to shove, I would buy Soy Milk as Soybeans (I think) come from the midwest and the south.)

Cheese - I buy an off brand that has likely come from inland or the midwest.

Fruit is a quandry:

-South American and Mexican produce is available, but they are also pacific coast nations.
Hmmmm....what to do about that.
Buy off brand frozen berries and canned fruits that have more likely come from the midwest and south?

Meat - I gotta buy inland...so that means a big chain maybe like Costco or Walmart that pull product from outside of my region. The worry there is that they bring in seafood from China etc. So I will have to find a seafood supplier who is Atlantic.

Heh! And I thought crafting a menu plan for pre-diabetes was tricky!

No comments:

Post a Comment