Monday, September 8, 2008

Alaska's full of Creative Thinkers

When Stu and I were working with Native North Americans the organization we worked with had a base in Alaska.
In the Matanuska-Susitna Valley area.
We had co-workers who were from Wasilla.

Alaska is amazing.
A Brief (-ish) History and/or Theory for my personal opinion:
As people migrated west, from the east, they exhibited a spirit of independence.
As I have spent time in the last few years, having family in the Extreme East, and having grown up in the Extreme West, I can say that I can see the outcomes of that "Pioneering Spirit."
Comparing East -vs- West, the West coast exhibits an independent mind set, -vs- an INTER dependent one (such as one might find on the East Coast where people actually KNOW their neighbors and their neighbors kids and what not. My eastern family would be appalled that we in the west can live next door to someone for 10 years and only say "hi" to them and not have any problem with that, whereas people in the East seem to build relationships more readily with those around them. The west is more independent as opposed to inter-dependent - this is a broad statement of course and I realise, there are a multitude of exceptions, but for the most part, these are differences I have noted in my own families.)
This independent, "Pioneering Spirit" finds its culimation in Alaska I think. The furthest west, the last frontier.
People from Alaska are strong.
They are creative (sometimes unorthodox) problem solvers.
(Unorthodox as compared with what might be considered typical behaviour using typical resources.)
Alaskans will dare to try new things in order to solve a problem.
They are amazing people.
They can figure out how to do things on their own without needing input from other humans, although when such input presents itself they are not averse to it necessarily.
Alaska is a hard place.
Only the creative thinker and hardy individual can thrive there.
I never would have imagined McCain would have chosen Palin as a running mate, but not only does it seem fitting right now - in these days of people crying "Change! Change!" It is a wildly creative solution on the part of McCain.
Maybe he has some Alaskan history himself?
I'm just saying, I support her with a fuller heart than I have supported any presidents/candidates in the last few decades.
Palin is a true hope for positive change, imho.
I don't know that I would vote for her as President...yet...but she is going to make a screamin' VP.
imho.
Just my two cents on this one.
:o)
Since I rarely have a real political opinion.
You should check out Alaskans.
They are awesome and wacky all at the same time.
Reading the poetry of Robert Service would also not be amiss here.
("The Cremation of Sam Magee" has long been a favorite shared at our family's table after a Thanksgiving or Christmas Dinner before the whole family.)
It sounds crazy I know...but it works.
;o)
m-

No comments:

Post a Comment