Saturday, August 26, 2006

Your Face? - - Evening Update Updated




















Remember that beautifully done animation from the late 80's by Bill Plympton called "Your Face?"

Yeah.
Well...

Blake is coming home from camp a week early.
He's had some sort of accident.
He has 5 stitches beneath his nose and his face is pretty bashed up and swollen, from what I hear.
I don't really know for sure, since I only got the phone call from the camp yesterday, and Stu is up there right now, gathering his belongings to bring him back home now.

I don't know if I will be confronted with his normal, pretty boy face which is a bit scratched up or if it is still very bruised and swollen and I will be facing "My Son, The Elephant Man."

Apparently the hospital did not send him home with any pain meds, because neither parent was on hand, but it was the camp staff with the medical release that brought him in.
(Stupid Mt Hood Medical Center! That place has been nit-wit-haven since the early 80's)

Anyway, the camp called and asked me if they could give him a Vicoden and I said, "Good heavens yes!"

Poor kid.

My first thought was, "Dear God, thank you that he didn't lose an eye!"

In retrospect I suppose I can say, "What Teen-Boy's summer would be complete without a trip to the E.R. for some stitches?"

UPDATE:

Well the lad is home now.
The Results are in and they are not pretty:









He tells me that, after he got his stitches, they went to Shari's to get a milok shake. He said that the people who walked past his table would look at him with these really freaked out looks on their faces. He said that he finally just stood up and in a very loud voice, addressed the patrons by saying, "I am not an animal, I am a human being!"

And then there is always this.

That is my son:
He suffers major facial trauma, and within 24 hours what does he do?
He turns it into a Photo Shoot.
This is a great poster for some slasher movie.
I am proud of you son...sorta...now take your medicine!

He is begging me to take him back out to this location (remember the film "The Postman" with Kevin Costner? Yeah. They shot part of it here. Same location) so that he can shoot some more images with his face all beat up and a rifle clenched between his fists.
He begs me, that he must do it before his face heals too much.
Strangely...I understand that logic.
I will probably take him there and help him shoot both stills and video.
Am I a bad mother?

:o/

8 comments:

  1. no, you're an awesome mother, with the sensibilities of a good photographer. =P

    -oscy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... reading this and I thought "yep... he's Mih's son" ;)

    You're a nut (in a good way) and it's rubbed off on your son. You guys have the same personality I bet and artistic impressions. :D

    Wow... I hope he's not in too much pain. How the heck did he get so beat up?

    ~L~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, this is how it went...apparently the "wake Up Crew" at the camp has this little game they play with the camp counselors from time to time after midnight. At some point there is a bit of running around involved. Blake was exiting a building and set off in a sprint - just as some other crew member shut off the campground lights at the same time. Blake went "head to head" in the inky blackness, with a Douglas Fir. Fortunately there were no low growing limbs on the tree. I have a photo of him leaning against this same tree, which is posted here:
    http://www.geocities.com/mettle_works/tree.jpg

    So two other counselors took him in to the hospital and he got stitches and no pain meds. He's taking all of his meals through a freakin' straw! Poor kid. They didn't shoot any Xrays even. I am hauling him in on Monday to have him checked out good and proper.
    So anyway Leh, thats the story.

    Crazy stuff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya gotta watch out for those Douglas Fir... they'll get ya EVERY time. At anyrate, glad my brother is ok, give him my best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "This forest is old. Very old. Full of memory… and anger."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang! Well, he won't be playing any nose flutes for awhile. I hope he's feeling a little better by now.

    And you are a terrific mother! Our son was in a disaster drill, made up to look like he'd been skewered through the chest by a flying something-or-other. (It made me light-headed to look at him.) After the drill we allowed him to head to school complete with his 'wound'. To say that he was the star of the day understates it. Never pass up those opportunites!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha hah -- that was definitely an entertaining read.

    I had a run-in with a tree stump once when I was younger. I woke up on the couch in the living room with a new beard made of gauze :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey sometimes you have to suffer for art ;)

    ReplyDelete