Monday, June 20, 2005

Busy times

I was talking to my friend Amber today, who quit her day job today in order to pursue art. We were talking about how, when people hear that you've "quit your day job" they suddenly think you "arent working." So they call you and want you to do all this stuff, like this errand or that one. Baby sit their kids because "well, you're not working now, so..." which could not be further from the truth.
What is it about art that people don't get? If it can't be Quantified or Mass Produced then it isn't 'real,' 'viable,' or 'valuable?"
That's just stupid.
Yes person, I quit my office job in order to "work from home."
I am busy.
VERY busy.
Processing via creation and vice-versa.
It's work.
I am focusing on 'being a mom' now.
That doesn't mean I am sitting at home watching soaps and eating bon-bons.

I heard something interesting the other day at church.
Tim was reading through something that Jesus said.
It was about our perspective on our work and our possessions.
Jesus was talking giving an example of how not to be.
He was talking about this guy who's land had produced more than he needed to merely exist.
The guys dialogue was really bizarre.
He kept using the words, "I", "me", "my", and "mine" in almost every sentence in the paragraph.
He kept referring to "his grain" and how he "thought to himself" (oh now THERE'S wise council!)
he thought to himself that he should build bigger barns to hold all of his grains and his bounteous posessions and stuff. He was telling himself that he finally had earned enough now, that he could relax, and eat, drink and be merry.

God called him a nit-whit. (Fool)
The guys whole lifes goal was to gain enough resources (money?) so that he could kick back and relax and not worry, but just cruise along.

It really struck me as interesting because in America most of us have that as our end goal.
And here God calls us fools for having that as our goal.
Ineteresting.
So it made me think very differently about money/resources.
It's not my money - it's Gods. He is letting me earn it.
It's not my house - it's Gods. He is letting me pay for it, using the money He gave me.
These are not my kids - god just let me try to raise them.
Nothing I "own" is really mine.

So if working for a living to create a lifestyle which allows me to "kick back and feel secure" is wrong as an end goal, then what should be my goals for earning money?

It made me think that, while earning a living to support your daily needs and those of your families is not wrong in and of itself, it IS wrong if that is your end goal.

So maybe I should look beyond and think, perhaps I should be earning money to share with those who don't have it?
Maybe our perspective should not be merely for our own comfort, but with a greater goal to serve the needs of God, humanity and ultimately, eternity.

What is the main reason you get up and go to work?
I know mine has been to "earn more" so that I could kick back someday.
Guess I am an idiot.
The very idea has expanded my mind.
My prayer is that God will make it internalize so that it can go beyond mental, to practical living.

No comments:

Post a Comment