Thursday, June 2, 2005

Another Song

So yesterday, I really felt that God had sent me a song in my head that I should pray with a mind toward David's mom.

Funny, at the same time of the morning today, I heard another song in my head out of the blue.
It was an old Celtic Standard, and this time I felt that the song was for me, as a gift from God to help me process David's passing.

The song is "The Parting Glass."
The particular arrangement is by Shaun Davies as he did it for the movie "Waking Ned Devine."

NEW SOUNDS UPDATE --------------------------->
link in the sidebar on the right:
Today, in honour of David, it is a snippet from Mr. Davies arrangement for Male Vocalist and Choir, which can be found by doing a search for Shaun Davies.
The song can be sung alone, or as a response by switching the pronouns in the refrain.

"Of all the friends that e'er I had,
they're sorry for my going away,
and all the sweethearts that e'er I had, they'd bid me one more day to stay.
But since it fell unto my lot,
That I should Rise, and you should not,
I gently rise and softly call;
'goodnight and joy be to you all.' "


Blackthorne has a really nice arrangement for it that include the repeated refrain of:

"Fill to me the parting glass, and drink a health what e're befalls,
Gently rise and softly call, goognight and joy be to you all."

Slainte David.

No comments:

Post a Comment