Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Windows 7 Screensaver not working-FIXED!!!

For some people, it is the use of their Windows 7 gadgets that keep the screensaver from engaging. For some people, their wireless mouse seems to interfere with the screensaver starting.
For many others, it is very simply the power management options. I carried out the following fix and it worked!!!

For my part, I WANT my screensaver to ALWAYS kick in after 3 minutes for security reasons. When I set my screensaver, I alwasy click the box that says "Require password"and/or "Show Welcome Screen on Resume" (or whatever the exact verbage is, it's something like that. ANYWAY...
my screensaver woudl never activate, leaving my compie open to whoever walked by to get in and mess with at their will. This is why I rely on my screensaver. Besides, I have vacation and my kids pix on there, and I like to see them. :o)

The solution did not come as part of my own cleverness, but from the following person and so far he was the only person that had the right answer for me:

http://www.troublefixers.com/screen-saver-not-activating-working-in-windows/

So frustrated was I with not being able to get my screensaver to work all this time, that I carried his instructions to the Nth degree although, his were a little different than mine I was able to get the basic idea. I went into the following options:

-Right click the center of your desktop and select PERSONALISE
-Select SCREENSAVER
-Select CHANGE POWER SETTINGS

At this point odds are great that you have either monekeyed with your power settings at some point, or like me, never messed with them at all yet. This is an excellent time to do so. :o)

On this POWER PLANS screen you have a multitude of options.

I took about 10 min. and selected CHANGE SETTINGS for every power plan offered.
I left the battery settings much the same, but for all the options where is it tells the computer what to do when its plugged in, I clicked all the arrows on the drop down menus and selected NEVER for all the options, on all the power plans listed.

I didn't even have to reboot, and in 3 minutes I was looking at craggy pacific coast rocks and my kids climbing them!

YAY!

If I can do this, so can you!
:o)

2 comments:

  1. I had the same problem. None of the fixes I googled worked. In the Task Manager under processes, I found that Google Chrome was running although i never use it and the application was not running. Uninstalled Google Chrome and the screensaver worked immidiately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I have come to detest many google products especially google earth and google chrome as they are so invasive, they remind me of virus'.

    Thanks for the heads up on this!

    ReplyDelete