Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Kooky Ghoulash thing my dad used to make. (I bet James Lileks could ID this thing!)

I haven't thought of this in years. It used to make me crazy!
To coin a phrase from our favorite gourmand of the all things disgusting James Lileks,"Glop In a pot!".
This thing my dad and mom made is the TRUEST form of Glop In a Pot. and yet, it's kinda good and hearty if you don't think about the 1950's - 1970's style of ingredients.

I don't know what they called it. I am sure it had no right name.
They just called it "Macaroni."
Ok Yankee Doodle, here it comes:

1 lb ground beef
1 green pepper, chopped
1 large onion, chopped.

Begin to fry up this lot.
When burger is cooked through add:
1 can of pork and beans (yes. thats what I said.)
1 can of diced tomatoes
Optional - it seems like my mom used to throw the tiny can of Tomato paste in this mess as well.
And then add enough pasta to soak up what ever liquid is abounding in the pan.
Let it all simmer until liquid is soaked up and pasta is soft.
If liquid still abounds, remove lid and let cook off for a while.

Eat.

So I made this for my family tonight.
Why?
I had all the ingredients and was wondering what I could make and suddenly, like an epiphany/deja vu moment, I remembered "This thing" my mom and dad made. (Besides me and my brother, that is.)

Verdict?
They loved it (face palm).

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete