Monday, April 17, 2006

The night before Easter

So MacKenz decides that she would like to be baptized on Easter.
Great!
This is how we ended up doing our kids: we let them decide if and when to be baptized, and so far it seems to have worked well for us.
Anyway, so the night before, she is assembling her "Baptism garb" because at this particular church they do total immerion, as one might find it in one of the 4 Gospels when Jesus went to John the Baptist and he dunked Him all the way under.
Though there are many other acceptable traditions around baptism, such as "sprinkling" etc...total immersion happens to be what we do.

So anyway...she is assembling her garb, and she comes out all frustrated saying,

"Mom! I only have 2 pairs of shin guards and they don't match! AND...I can't find any other of my soccer clothes!"

I respond, "What's in your head, girl! You're not going to be defending a soccer ball from Pastor Tim in the Baptismal tank! You don't NEED the shin guards!"

I swear! This kid...the things that come into her head!

2 comments:

  1. Shin guards? For a baptism? Does she expect that when she gets prostrated back into the water, it's because another associate pastor gives her a roundhouse kick to the knees to get her wet?

    Being Catholic, baptism is more a 'ritual drizzle' for adults that, at it's worst will "ruin a 'do" but that's about it. But I think that is a derivative of the parish Preist not wanting to have to endure the clink of good-luck coins being tossed into a wading pool in the sacristy during a sermon. Practicality, that.

    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. rofl You're both too funny. :D

    I don't even remember my baptism having been a baby. We have pics though.

    My folks only forced that on us... otherwise we were given the choice to go to church or not.

    I was forced to church a few time outside of the typical weddings and funerals by my favorite aunt. She was like "you're here in my house, it's Sunday, you're going!" LOL My mom had a bit of a "she what?!?" moment when I mentioned it in passing recently. ;) It didn't kill me. It was a methodist church. My mom and Aunt are catholic... go fig. My uncle is Methodist.

    ReplyDelete