Sunday, September 4, 2005

Allegory, metaphor, analogy, fantasy twilight zone

This is a fairly unedited, allegory that I composed in my head today on the long drive to Portland and back.
(6 hours of high-speed-passing-lane-hijinks, and car-food fun.)

I pondered sending it to the lyst, but probably won't because it is:

a). unedited.
b). requires that one make extreme mental leaps, that match precisely my own mental gymnastics in order to comprehend, as IF that is ever gonna happen. ;o)
c). it is probably an over-emotionalization of things that were, are or may yet be.

Take into consideration, I was listening to The Lordof the Rings Sound Track at the time this came ot me, and listening mainly to Enya sing "May it Be," and Annie Lennox sing "Into the West."
;o)
But anyway, I am going to digress out into fantasyland - twilight zone, and toss out this metaphorical allegory thingie, that I imagined as I pondered our Myst Community, it's humble beginnings and what has transpired in the last few years/weeks/days/months/something:
(so basically I am venting weirdly.)
(How is THAT for a set up?)
;o)

Leave now if you hate metaphors, allegory, and analogy.
Run while you can!

-------------------------------------------

Today I remembered a question.
Not a question asked of me, but of a little boy by his grandmother:

"Look Atrus. Tell me, what do you see?"

I see a City.
Where there was once an empty wasteland, there is now a City, set upon a hill.
The City, fashioned out of Words and Ether, has taken on flesh and bone.
The walls behind which the City took refuge, are no longer.

"Look Atrus. Tell me, what do you see?"

I see a Little Tree.
The sheltering walls of the greenhouse have been taken away.
It's leaves flutter desperately as in a gale,
But it is only the caress of the evening breeze.
Though the sun has faded, the pale twilight dances among the leaves,
And the air around them is illuminated.

"Look Atrus. Tell me, what do you see?"

I see the City on the hill.
Its light shines out across the land in the setting sun.
Vulnerable, not knowing the strength within.
The light, which shines out from the City, is its love of the pursuit of wisdom, honour, truth and beauty.
It beckons those wandering in the vastness, and its citizens encourage those who come to take shelter beneath the branches of the Little Tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment