Monday, August 1, 2005

Whirlwind Road Trip Rolls to a Stop

As far as the road trip was concerned, it was a good trip.
So this is pretty much what the car looked like for the entire trip:
Coffee and Cheez-Its are as crucial as petrol to any successful road trip,
and what I looked like after a two days on the road, no shower and still perky.
(Blech!)
I got a lot of stock images shot.
I will slap up a few of them here, but bear in mind these are pretty much un-processed, meaning, I haven't finished "working them over" yet. Some are just fodder for future abstract paintings, some may be a conglomeration of photo and abstract paint.
Who knows.
Got some fun pictures at Stonehenge.
Not the real one obviously, but there is a replica built in the early 1900's by a really crazy "patron of the arts" kind of guy. He turned his house into a fine arts museum, with a lot of work by French impressionists and Rodin sculptures and what not. He entertained Romanian Royalty frequently as well, all out in the absolute desolate, middle of NO WHERE! It's histerical. So anyway, out on this rocky outcropping, over looking the Columbia River is this mock-Stonghenge.
Its pretty cool.
This particular Stonehenge is a WWI memorial and at one point, an older gentleman insisted he take our pic together, much to my daughters embarrassment.
Gah!
Not a picture with her mother!
She much prefers the company of a good sword as opposed to that of dear old mum.
Had a good time at Hammered Dulcimer fest.
Handed off some Rich Mullin's music to Pete B and kept copies for myself.
I got to learn a new tune in 3 different time signatures, which Mick wrote for the workshop, entitled "Chatter Creek-Waltz-Jig-Polka" and catch a quick jam before bugging out early to get home.
Karri, Kris and I showed up early to snag some campsites, each of us witha daughter in tow. So for those fortunate enough to get there, there was Girl Camp, where:
-Scout reads her book while KiKi plays a tune in the background.
-Bri perseveres in her quest to build a legal fire in the High Cascades.
-Karri demonstrates the true meaning of "Fight Like A Girl," while Bri assists and KiKi and Erica watch from a safe distance.

Had a nice visit with some friends in Washington.
Learned a bit about "detailed work", and so I won't be harshing on myself for taking so long to complete projects - especially in PS.
(Yet another moment to look at myself and say,
"wow, I'm not looney after all!" Either that, or I am in good company.)
;o)
I also had my travel plans redirected, because my way was stupid and convoluted, and theirs was a more obvious straight route to my next destination.
I am so glad they did though, because there were a multitude of photo opp's that I never would have found, and even then, Scout got fed up with me stopping every 10 minutes to shoot this or that, so I had to pass up some stuff. I am already planning another Highway 2 trip, to pick up the stuff I missed.

I think this was taken just outside of Reardan (sp?)
I am not sure why I ended up liking this one, because none of the elements are all that compelling, but hey, it's what it is.
Not sure what I will do with it yet.

This kitchy sign I found just outside of Coulee City.

BIZARRE SIGHTINGS:
I wish I had been more observant when it started to happen but, I wasn't: There seems to be a strange fetish in Eastern Washington Small Towns. The front yards of private individuals often sport lifesize (if not life like) replica's of animals and people. Giant deer and horses, and manequins even. By the time Scout and I realised there was "something to this" it was too late and we were passing out of the Eastern side of the State and into the High Cascades. And this bizarre phenomenon seemed to halt before the foothills. Ah well, I will have to shoot these things next time around.

Note To Ry:
Remember we were talking about wheat, more wheat, and almost Endless Blue Skies on the Horizon? I have SO MANY of these! It was at this point I drove Scout crazy.
She was all, "Mom! Enough with the wheat already!"
Lots of fodder for abstracts here!

RAMADA DRILL:
Had a great time at the Ramada Inn!
6:45am, and I am awakened by a hideous piercing beeeeeeeep!
Now, if I were at HOME, I would think the fire alarm was going off.
It usually does when we make toast or boil water.
(Stupid thing!)
So I sit bolt upright, from a sound sleep, with my hands clamped over my ears, looking stupidly around the room thinking,
"Stop! I'm not boiling any water!" and looking for something to fan the air away from the ceiling alarm with.
(And yes I realise I just ended that last sentence with a presposition. Get over it.)
It suddenly dawns on me that I am not at home and this may actually be a fire drill.
All of the guests were already out in the parking lot by the time I figured this out.
Good thing there was no actual fire.

EARLY DEPARTURES:
I got a call from Stu who was called to work another gig Sunday, meaning I had to get home Saturday night so as not to leave MacKenzie all alone, so my trip ended up being cut short with my loosing a day at the Music festival. :o( Still, it was a good trip. And I am glad to be home. I can't wait to unpack my picture card reader, though I have no clue as to where I threw it in the car after I used it at the Ramada. Talking with Pete was great. His view of Celtic culture and Christianity is really unique and one I've never heard before, but it was one of those "duh!" moments when you hear something that you should have recognized long ago, but didn't, and now suddenly ideas come into much sharper focus and suddenly fit together and make greater/deeper sense.
Pete is so cool!
What a knucklehead!
Anyway, time to do laundry.
Time to sort clean junk up.
Yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment