Friday, September 28, 2007

Lets call the whole thing Tomate

You know you've done something right when your teen kids think it is amazing to watch Disney's Alladin in English! Or Disney's Oliver and Company, or Disney's "Les Aristochats."

It is fun to watch their language experience play out in school now, as well. Both Scout and MacKenzie started Latin in 3rd grade and continued well into middle school. All of the kids were exposed to colloqial Parisien French during their growing years and now they are taking mandatory Spanish in high school. Scout also has a passion for Italian which she has been learning on her own. It is a crazy thing to watch them figure out how to conjugate verbs in Spanish. They are speaking any language BUT Spanish.
Its cute and I feel proud of myself.

They will probably never be fluent in any one language, but at least they will be able to make themselves understood in at least 3.

Ahhh my job here is done.

:o)

1 comment:

  1. LOL sounds like me.

    I can sort of understand spanish which should be fairly native to me (as most of my relations can speak it) but I'm a poor speaker.

    I like japanese better but that's cause it has the same vowel sounds as spanish. It helps me to pronounce it but I can't speak or understand it well. LOL

    I'm no where near the level of (in)competency I have for spanish with japanese. ;) But I am at the level my brother often makes fun of... The "Oh I heard them say Shiny and no!!" level. ;P

    I also have this innate way of sort of figuring stuff out if I can see what's going on in another lang. ;)

    ~L~

    ReplyDelete