Friday, September 22, 2006

Well the trip was originally planned for a number of reasons:

1-so that the girls could see their grandparents who are in their late 70's.

2-I was hoping to do a little more research into early French history in the area for a historical fiction project.

3-Shoot alot of photos to process this winter.

About a week before leaving, I rec'd a phone call here at home stating that my step mom had gone into the hospital. She has been on dialysis for 9+ years and was having a few serious issues suddenly. It was good that we were able to go at this time as it gave the girls a chance to visit gramm in the hospital and see my dad, plus it gave me a chance to "survey the elder parent scene" and it really is not a pretty site.
Pride is a huge hinderance in all walks of life.
Pride is not a thing to boast about.
People (espeially older ones) will say, "Well I've got my pride you know!"
Well that is more of an ugly confession than something to be admired.
Anyway...it gets in the way of acomplishing important goals.

This is a place I have been before in life: Parent Care.
When my mother contracted Altzheimers Disease in her 50's I moved back home and my dad and I were her primary care givers until incontinence set in with a vengeance,at which time we sent her to fostercare set up to deal with Altzheimers specifically.

So a large part of this trip was spent cleaning my dads house.
They refuse to hire a housekeeper even once or twice a month.
They are both nearly blind, and so cannot see the dirt. (filth is a better word)
So after the girls went to bed each night, and dad settled in front of the TV, I went quietly into the kitchen/bathroom/laundry room and committed janitorial acts upon each room until about 2am.

"I'll run out to Coggeshall Farm with the girls tomorrow and take a bunch of photos" I would tell myself.

"Maybe we'll take a run up the Cape and see my cousin Janet tomorrow afternoon?"

These things never happened.

So the trip that was, wasn't - - - BUT - - - More importantly, familial things DID get done.
There will be years to take photos elsewhere, but not many more when I can serve gramma or grandpa despite themselves.

;o)

The Poops!

So it was a good trip.
It was just altered to meet the needs of the day.

We did get to go to Mystic Conn. (No we did not eat pizza.) And we did the obligatory trip to Plymouth.

Many of these photos are up now and can be seen at this Gallery.

1 comment:

  1. Mystic Port?
    I liked that place when my dad took us. He had to see the ships... we did that. It was cool. :D My mom was a bit bored but it was cool.

    ~L~

    ReplyDelete