Monday, June 19, 2006

Bardic Traditions

Funny.
I have known for a long time that, in my dad's side of the family, each generation has one or two individuals who seem to be the "Story Keepers", remembering and recounting ancestral data and stories and having the internal desire to instill such knowledge in younger generations. My great grandfather was such a man, then his daughter, and then her son (my father) some how my brother was disinterested, but my heart was kindled with the old stories of our family and ancestors. I see it has now happened to my middle daughter. She actually laid a title to it today. We were speaking about who had been passing down the family stories and traditions, since the leaving of France to the coming to America. She suddenly stopped speaking, turned her head and said "Then I am the next Bard in our family." Wow. She identified the bardic tradition, the story keeper tradition, with what has occurred in our family. It was a deep and meaningful moment that I am sure, many people would say, "huh?" or "so what?"
To me, tradition and metaphorical meaning are the stuff of life.
One might also say,"So what. It is important to you and so you have managed to transmit that to your child."
Maybe.
Except that I have 3 children to whom I would dearly have loved to transmit my passion, but who do not share it - except the one.
Interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment