Saturday, January 20, 2018

Dementia Chronicle, Episode 1 : A beginning?

As many of you who've known me for a long time already know, Altzheimers runs on my mom's side of the family fairly regularly.

Having served alongside my dad through the years of providing care to my mom, I am hyper sensitive to any little thing, any small aberration in my own thoughts and abilities.

Rather than squirrel away uncomfortable thoughts, I decided that I should blog them.

Perhaps it will be known that I merely suffer from the decline that we as women go through when experiencing menopause.

Most recently notable, ( and alarming to me) is my observation that I can no longer type as I used to.
Already in this post, I have had to correct typos 5 times.  This is becoming a typical occurrence during the last year. Also, my spelling is less accurate that it once was.  And grammar.  Dare I confess that I actually had a brain fart regarding where the apostrophe should go in "Priests" - vs- "Priest's"?

For ME - THIS should not happen. I am a proud grammar Nazi.

My own mother contracted Altzheimers at an early age.  We believe she had the start of it in her early 50's.  She died from it when she was 61.  My mother was an atheletic, outgoing, left brained, witty, mathematical person. She did not engage in poor eating habits, excessive alcohol or other obvious unhealthful activity.

I am now 50+.  My hyper sensitivity to the possibility of getting this grows with every typo, spelling mistake etc. Where did I put my keys? Again? I thought I already fed the cats?  When did I change the fish's water?

It is also possible that I have a tendency to take on a great deal of things at once.  My brain rarely shuts off - even at night. Example: I got 4 hours of sleep last night.  Decent sleep for me is 6 hours.  I have needed 7-9 in the past.

So I don't know.

This is the first post in what I hope never becomes a series, for me.

The Dementia Chronicles.

No comments:

Post a Comment