Sunday, May 15, 2011

New Favorite Beach


I found it Friday morning and since I was unsure if the tide was in or out at this time, I decided to check back later in the day. It is a bit of a rocky beach at times, and there are lots of them jutting up out of the water, making it an interesting walk. (Note the waterline)




Yes Virginia, there is a low tide. (Again, make note of the green waterline areas.)





And these are what one finds around the other side of it...









All of the above are part of a horseshoe shaped cave/bowl that during high tide is entirely submerged. Next time I go back I will try and shoot enough to stitch up a panoramic so that you can see how huge the enclosure is. When you see it and stand here, on the dry land and realise that it is entirely buried underwater everyday, it is a bit awe inspiring.


And there it was, further down the cut-off part of the beach:

It's really starting to break up now.

The time it took me to walk from the gap in the big rocks to here was approx 7 minutes. In the time it took me to come through the gap, take this photo and get back to the gap the tide was already moving in at an alarming rate. If I waited another 20-30 minutes, I bet I wouldn't be able to cross back through without getting fairly wet, if I would be able to pass through at all. I was stunned at how quickly the tide races in.

On thing I noticed about the Manzanita beack is how much debris is strewn about it now. Not just driftwood and kelp, but pieces of structures, and lumber etc. Every beach I went to had the same story - of course some of them I had never been to before so I had no previous reference, but the Manzanita beach is usually VERY clean, save for the driftwood and kelp.

Weirdness.

4 comments:

  1. In retrospect...I wonder if it's possible that some of this supposed construction debris on the beaches could have found it's way all the way from Japan? It seems like it would all have been deposited elsewhere first though...like even Hawaii before here. I dunno. I was just thinking about it on the way home from the beach today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful area. Did you get my text. I would have gone with you. Keep me in mind for another trip :)
    I can be your body guard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Man, NO, I didn't get your text. Next time we can go walk some of the railroad tracks and see if we can find these abandoned wooden rail cars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet. I am always down for an adventure.

    ReplyDelete