Tuesday, November 19, 2019

The Long Unwinding Roads

What a month!

As some of you know my son recently came out regarding his alcoholism.
He nearly died.

Now, for me, it is a matter of coordinating his care with his care coordinators and his physicians.

I am kind of worn out and frazzled by it all, but as time goes on I will debrief here.

For  now, here is a link to a video that I think every high school in the United States should be showing (despite it's cheesy production values) :

This is a HUGELY informative film regarding the science of addiction and how it works through the brain.  It definitely illustrates how and why Addiction is termed a disease. I have now watched it several times.  It was done by a brain surgeon who, after his own medical issues, became addicted to oxycontin. Being a Mormon and shunning most things that can cause even the slightest addiction, he was blindsided by his own.

This inspired him to research more regarding the brain under addiction and he produced this film to explain the complex brain functions in layman's terms.

The film is entitled "Pleasure Unwoven".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clZQEGHTx6c 




No comments:

Post a Comment